kbboys
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Old friends abandon me, it's just the routine politics of jealousy

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Welcome Home

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Sabazius

Sabazius

Welcome Home Empty
PostSubject: Welcome Home   Welcome Home Icon_minitimeMon Oct 12, 2009 5:46 pm

So anyway, this is the first chapter of a debut story by... ME! Haha, weren't expecting that were you?

It's on Comicality's Library forum, HERE, but I'm copying the first chapter here as well cos I thought you guys might want to read it. I don't know if Kell will let me make a full length thread for this, so comment below until further notice.

Hope you like it Welcome Home Icon_smile

WELCOME HOME - CHAPTER ONE

It had been two years since Callum had set foot in this town, and as he looked out of the window he was disconcerted by how different it felt. The places he had spent his childhood seemed a little smaller; some old shops had gone and others had come to take their place. As the car moved slowly down the main street that bisected the town, Callum's father could see him shrinking slightly into his seat.

"I think Michael is looking forward to seeing you." At his father's words, Callum's head jerked up, but he didn't say anything. The expression on his face was hard to read, and as he turned his head away Jack wondered what his son was thinking. The boy had hardly spoken two words since getting into the car, although Jack was pleased to not that, although cautious, his reception by his estranged son was much more amicable than the look of cold disdain that his son had send in his mother's direction upon their parting.

Michael and Callum. The two boys had been friends ever since their first day at school, and they acted with a strange combination of intimacy and shyness, as if neither had really wanted to acknowledge their dependence on one another. Callum had always been reserved and introspective, while Michael was almost a polar opposite, chatty and outgoing and very active. Or at least, that's how he had been. When with Callum though, he had been patient and gentle in a way that was unknown in most boys - as a teacher at the town's school which both boys attended, Jack knew how rare such friendship was. For his own part, Callum's quietness gave way to an incredible sense of humour and comic timing when with his friend; his quiet nature and deadpan expressions belying the blistering observational wit that lay beneath. While Callum seemed to need his friend to draw him out of his shell, it had been difficult for Jack to really understand what Michael got out of their association. As idealistic as he was, he knew that some boys had trouble making friends and he had never quite understood if Michael was just taking pity.

But when Jack had split up with his wife, Cassandra, and had Callum taken away from him for two long years, he had seen a new Michael, and he had understood. At first, the boy was simply less talkative. Once a seemingly permanent fixture in Jack's house, the unwilling departure of Callum had taken Michael away too, and Jack had felt at times that he had lost two boys instead of one. At school, Michael had become distant from Jack, more reserved. But he had thought this only natural. After all, the connection between the two was broken, and their former friendly relationship had retreated to that of teacher and pupil. However, as time progressed more changes became apparent. Michael had become quieter and quieter, and his other friends seemed to fall away like dried onion skins to reveal a smaller, paler boy who seemed less defended, more raw, more vulnerable. When the bullying started, Jack had only heard about it from afar, through staffroom gossip; and the namecalling had quickly stopped. By that time, however, Michael had retreated entirely into his shell, and become as reclusive as Callum had been when left to his own devices. Meanwhile, Jack had struggled with his own loss. Cut off from his son by the bastard of a lawyer that his wife had found somewhere, he spent most of his time focused on his work, marking papers and planning lessons. While he didn't miss his wife, he certainly felt keenly the loss of his child.

Then a month ago, his wife had called out of the blue. She was moving around again (he had lost track of her sometime around her third move, although he'd scarcely been allowed any contact anyway) and she and Callum had 'agreed' that it would be best for all of them if Callum returned to his hometown and his father. Yes, she would make that official in writing and in law. No, she didn't see there being any chance of Callum wanting to be with her in the future. In fact, she was quite happy never to hear from either of them again. And so, here was Jack, with the boy he had missed for two years and now felt he barely knew, driving to a town that his son had once called home and which held the boy's once best friend. Cassandra had been almost silent on the details of Callum's life or her situation over the past two years, and Jack's heart nearly broke at how shy his boy had become even of him. It would be hard, he realised now, to build up a relationship again. And he had no idea how Michael would react to his friend's return. Jack had spoken to his parents who said they would pass the message on, but they gave away nothing, being the discreet and somewhat distant type.

The car turned the corner off of the main street and onto a side road. Jack slowed, winding the wheel to slide the vehicle between the two great chestnut trees who stood either side of his driveway like giants guarding the gate to some mystic castle. With a quiet crunch, the car halted. Jack turned to look at his son, who met his gaze with that same inscrutable expression.

"Welcome home, Cal. Welcome home."

OK, looong introduction/backstory there. A lot to get your head around. I'm hoping to make this into a reasonably big story, filled with realistic and complex characters, so any sexy fun times might not be immediately forthcoming. However, the other chapters will hopefully be in a much more narratorial style, with all that fun stuff like dialogue and description that this chap didn't have. Comments, criticism and praise please!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/alexander.richard.keen
ems

ems

Welcome Home Empty
PostSubject: Re: Welcome Home   Welcome Home Icon_minitimeMon Oct 12, 2009 6:19 pm

Alex, Alex, Alex! WOW!!! i just loved your narrating style, i seriously have no idea what how much more 'narratorial' you can get scratch scratch

Quote :
winding the wheel to slide the vehicle between the two great chestnut trees who stood either side of his driveway like giants guarding the gate to some mystic castle. With a quiet crunch, the car halted.

idk why but that for me was like the very best line ever! Callum is such a sexy name. idk whether its a common one around you guys.i guess the past will be the main highlight of the story like in a few more chapters. the layer of mysteriousness behind the whole situation of what happened to Michaels is pretty cool. i guess that why i like it... and BTW i LIKED IT!!! Razz
Back to top Go down
Sabazius

Sabazius

Welcome Home Empty
PostSubject: Re: Welcome Home   Welcome Home Icon_minitimeMon Oct 12, 2009 9:24 pm

Most of the backstory stuff has passed, any more that we find out about the past will be through how it makes people act and interact in the present. Yeah, Callum is a sexy name - it's not uncommon over here, but not very common either.
I'm glad you enjoyed this first chapter Smile
Back to top Go down
Sabazius

Sabazius

Welcome Home Empty
PostSubject: Re: Welcome Home   Welcome Home Icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2010 4:09 pm

Two new chapters are available here and here. Enjoy and comment below (also, this site is the Library forum on Comicality's Shack Out Back, which is one of my fave gay story sites in the world; Comicality is an incredible writer and it's a great community, if you don't know it you should totally check it out.)
Comments, criticisms and congratulations always welcome below! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
ems

ems

Welcome Home Empty
PostSubject: Re: Welcome Home   Welcome Home Icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2010 11:25 pm

alex, you're such an asshole to write so little! but anyway, the amount of detail was amazing! it wasnt thjose "OMG i catnwaitforthenextchapter" kinda thing, but brilliant. the amount of detail that you put through, in filling what otherwise might've been an utter waste of time, was amazing. awesome job alex!! cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
Kell
Admin
Kell

Welcome Home Empty
PostSubject: Re: Welcome Home   Welcome Home Icon_minitimeTue Jan 19, 2010 1:21 am

ems wrote:
alex, you're such an asshole to write so little!

o.O
Back to top Go down
https://kbboys.darkbb.com
Sabazius

Sabazius

Welcome Home Empty
PostSubject: Re: Welcome Home   Welcome Home Icon_minitimeTue Jan 19, 2010 4:09 pm

ems wrote:
alex, you're such an asshole to write so little! but anyway, the amount of detail was amazing! it wasnt thjose "OMG i catnwaitforthenextchapter" kinda thing, but brilliant. the amount of detail that you put through, in filling what otherwise might've been an utter waste of time, was amazing. awesome job alex!! cheers cheers
lol, thanks... I think
Back to top Go down
ems

ems

Welcome Home Empty
PostSubject: Re: Welcome Home   Welcome Home Icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2010 1:12 pm

Sabazius wrote:
lol, thanks... I think

its a compliment from ephraim-land Razz
Back to top Go down
Kell
Admin
Kell

Welcome Home Empty
PostSubject: Re: Welcome Home   Welcome Home Icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2010 5:05 pm

yer so lucky im still being nice 2 u...or else i cuda sed a lota funny things there Smile
Back to top Go down
ems

ems

Welcome Home Empty
PostSubject: Re: Welcome Home   Welcome Home Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 12:56 am

yes im lucky! Smile Smile
Back to top Go down
Kell
Admin
Kell

Welcome Home Empty
PostSubject: Re: Welcome Home   Welcome Home Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 1:12 am

hmmm............ we'll c e

i hafta be honest, i didnt read yer story until just now & i hafta say, ba da ba ba baaa...........

I'M LOVIN' IT

how do u pronounce that name neway? i mean ive seen it b4, but just never heard it. is it like CAYlum? lol
Back to top Go down
ems

ems

Welcome Home Empty
PostSubject: Re: Welcome Home   Welcome Home Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 2:36 am

i just read chapter 3 lol. i thought you had posted two links for the same chapter. stupid me (not really).
Back to top Go down
Sabazius

Sabazius

Welcome Home Empty
PostSubject: Re: Welcome Home   Welcome Home Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 6:41 pm

dare de-vil wrote:
hmmm............ we'll c e

i hafta be honest, i didnt read yer story until just now & i hafta say, ba da ba ba baaa...........

I'M LOVIN' IT

how do u pronounce that name neway? i mean ive seen it b4, but just never heard it. is it like CAYlum? lol
The emphasis is balanced, and it's a lower-case (if you get me) 'a', CaLLuM

Also, Thanks Very Happy
Back to top Go down
painservedcold

Welcome Home Empty
PostSubject: Re: Welcome Home   Welcome Home Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 6:48 pm

Alex, your writing has really gotten going, I like where this is going so far.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Welcome Home Empty
PostSubject: Re: Welcome Home   Welcome Home Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Welcome Home
Page 1 of 1