kbboys
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Old friends abandon me, it's just the routine politics of jealousy

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Story Discussion

Go down 
+12
Rorylover
los34
Mr. Mike
nirvana
marcuss
DreamCatcher
Ecii
ems
painservedcold
Sabazius
Kell
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage

Story Discussion - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Story Discussion   Story Discussion - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 04, 2010 3:38 pm

possibly
Back to top Go down
Kell
Admin
Kell

PostSubject: Re: Story Discussion   Story Discussion - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2010 6:15 am

Back to top Go down
https://kbboys.darkbb.com
ems

ems

PostSubject: Re: Story Discussion   Story Discussion - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2010 11:17 am

wow dude! nice! i really dont see a difference between that preacher and rory in regards to how arrogantly they hold onto their views and don't give people the chance to live the way they want.

the last two lines, FUCKING A+++!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by ems on Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Story Discussion   Story Discussion - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2010 3:23 pm

that was a great chaper. although no sex Sad but still great
Back to top Go down
Sabazius

Sabazius

PostSubject: Re: Story Discussion   Story Discussion - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 21, 2010 9:51 am

ems wrote:
wow dude! nice! i really dont see a difference between that preacher and rory in regards to how arrogantly they hold onto their views and don't give people the chance to live the way they want.

Dude, that is absolutely NOT the point of this chapter. Rory didn't inflict his beliefs on anyone. Yeah, he was a dick to Becky, but if you read it, everything he says about her religious belief is in his head. When he has a go at Caleb, that's because the guy calls him up to apologise for getting him involved, and then starts spraying his faith down the phone in a manner that is rude at first, and then outright fucking insensitive after Rory told him about all the shit he went through and how the idea of a God doesn't help, it hurts.

In the elections for Union Sabbatical Officers (the students who run the Student Union) last year, there was one candidate who was strongly religious. His campaign was all friendly, they were playing guitars outside the union buildings and making speeches about improving the quality of student life. About halfway through the campaign, it came out that he was a Bible nut. He was massively homophobic, and believed that he could heal people with the power of prayer. One of his former flatmates recounted a story of the time he had held a prayer circle in their flat, and all of the people in attendance believed that they could prevent rape from happening by praying. They actually campaigned against rape prevention measures, because they believed that only prayer could prevent rape.

I'm sorry, but if religion was simply bullshit, I would have no objection to people holding their own beliefs. But it's not - dogma is dangerous. It's only in the past WEEK that the Pope has come out as saying that 'in very extreme cases, such as to prevent the spread of HIV and AIDS, that condoms might be the lesser of two evils'. For the past 30, 40, 50 years, the Pope has been going into Africa, to countries which have a horrific rate of AIDS cases, and telling the people there that using condoms is against God's will and is evil. Now, Catholics everywhere are cheering him for making this announcement, saying it demonstrates his tolerance and the relevance of the Catholic Church in modern society.

Well I say fuck that. The preacher in this chapter is just another bastard whose blind subservience to the idiotic idea of an evil overlord in the sky who hates most of the world is a cancer on our society. If we lived in a world with no God, and someone came along and wrote the Bible and tried to pass it off as a political manifesto, he would be condemned as worse than Hitler for the horrific crimes against humanity that that book advocates. Execution in horrible ways, murder, slavery, homophobia, sexism, racism, intolerance to the highest degree...

So yeah, I think you're completely wrong.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/alexander.richard.keen
Sabazius

Sabazius

PostSubject: Re: Story Discussion   Story Discussion - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 21, 2010 9:53 am

By the way Kell, in case you couldn't tell I thought this chapter was spot on in terms of the ideas it expressed, and gave us a really powerful insight into Rory's life and beliefs. Great writing, keep it up as always! Smile
Back to top Go down
ems

ems

PostSubject: Re: Story Discussion   Story Discussion - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 21, 2010 2:56 pm

Sabazius wrote:
If we lived in a world with no God, and someone came along and wrote the Bible and tried to pass it off as a political manifesto, he would be condemned as worse than Hitler for the horrific crimes against humanity that that book advocates.

i actually laughed at that one lol. i agree with you completely. i was just noting a few things that i liked in that chapter, thats it.
Back to top Go down
Kell
Admin
Kell

PostSubject: Re: Story Discussion   Story Discussion - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 21, 2010 5:03 pm

this chapter was intended to glorify religion

too often from extreme atheists & anti-god people do we hear stories about what horrors religion has caused in the world. and its no doubt that religion has been the cause of a lot of problems. and even though im agnostic, i have a great deal of respect for religion. the overwhelming majority of people in the world are haters. so a lot of people might not be fine with the ideas of 2 guys or 2 girls, but theyre not gonna kill anyone or do anything terrible

i grew up catholic & honestly, i miss having faith like that sometimes.
Back to top Go down
painservedcold

PostSubject: Re: Story Discussion   Story Discussion - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 22, 2010 12:01 am

Sabazius wrote:
ems wrote:

Dude, that is absolutely NOT the point of this chapter. Rory didn't inflict his beliefs on anyone. Yeah, he was a dick to Becky, but if you read it, everything he says about her religious belief is in his head. When he has a go at Caleb, that's because the guy calls him up to apologise for getting him involved, and then starts spraying his faith down the phone in a manner that is rude at first, and then outright fucking insensitive after Rory told him about all the shit he went through and how the idea of a God doesn't help, it hurts.

In the elections for Union Sabbatical Officers (the students who run the Student Union) last year, there was one candidate who was strongly religious. His campaign was all friendly, they were playing guitars outside the union buildings and making speeches about improving the quality of student life. About halfway through the campaign, it came out that he was a Bible nut. He was massively homophobic, and believed that he could heal people with the power of prayer. One of his former flatmates recounted a story of the time he had held a prayer circle in their flat, and all of the people in attendance believed that they could prevent rape from happening by praying. They actually campaigned against rape prevention measures, because they believed that only prayer could prevent rape.

I'm sorry, but if religion was simply bullshit, I would have no objection to people holding their own beliefs. But it's not - dogma is dangerous. It's only in the past WEEK that the Pope has come out as saying that 'in very extreme cases, such as to prevent the spread of HIV and AIDS, that condoms might be the lesser of two evils'. For the past 30, 40, 50 years, the Pope has been going into Africa, to countries which have a horrific rate of AIDS cases, and telling the people there that using condoms is against God's will and is evil. Now, Catholics everywhere are cheering him for making this announcement, saying it demonstrates his tolerance and the relevance of the Catholic Church in modern society.

Well I say fuck that. The preacher in this chapter is just another bastard whose blind subservience to the idiotic idea of an evil overlord in the sky who hates most of the world is a cancer on our society. If we lived in a world with no God, and someone came along and wrote the Bible and tried to pass it off as a political manifesto, he would be condemned as worse than Hitler for the horrific crimes against humanity that that book advocates. Execution in horrible ways, murder, slavery, homophobia, sexism, racism, intolerance to the highest degree...

So yeah, I think you're completely wrong.

I think I love you
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Story Discussion   Story Discussion - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 22, 2010 12:05 am

awwww thats so CUTE
Back to top Go down
Sabazius

Sabazius

PostSubject: Re: Story Discussion   Story Discussion - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 23, 2010 3:06 pm

dare de-vil wrote:
this chapter was intended to glorify religion

too often from extreme atheists & anti-god people do we hear stories about what horrors religion has caused in the world. and its no doubt that religion has been the cause of a lot of problems. and even though im agnostic, i have a great deal of respect for religion. the overwhelming majority of people in the world are haters. so a lot of people might not be fine with the ideas of 2 guys or 2 girls, but theyre not gonna kill anyone or do anything terrible

See, I'd say I appreciate the distinction between faith and religion, which Caleb pointed out to Rory, but I disagree with the way he spoke from this position of amazing privilege, as someone who has no understanding of the kind of experiences that Rory has been subject to in his life. For me, dogma breeds arrogance, and while there is certainly arrogance among atheists, I think that's mostly a reaction to the arrogance of some religious people. However, as I said, I have no issue with people having faith in the concept of something or someone greater in the universe.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mike

Mr. Mike

PostSubject: Re: Story Discussion   Story Discussion - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 23, 2010 3:31 pm

Sabazius wrote:
If we lived in a world with no God, and someone came along and wrote the Bible and tried to pass it off as a political manifesto, he would be condemned as worse than Hitler for the horrific crimes against humanity that that book advocates. Execution in horrible ways, murder, slavery, homophobia, sexism, racism, intolerance to the highest degree...
You use the word "Bible" when what you're actually referring to is the "Old Testament" part of the Bible. The "New Testament" -- not so much. Although, clearly, "fundies" like to take the teachings out of context and twist them into meanings that will support their particular prejudices -- many of which do advocate the things you're railing against.
Back to top Go down
http://www.rawpaint.com
Mr. Mike

Mr. Mike

PostSubject: Re: Story Discussion   Story Discussion - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 23, 2010 4:12 pm

dare de-vil wrote:
i'd like to see us be much more precise in the way we use words. "religion," "belief," and "faith" are not the same things although they often get thrown together as if they are. this by itself creates a lot of confusion and antipathy that need not exist.

"religion" is a specific system of symbols -- including texts, liturgies and rituals.

"belief" is an attitude that accepts (more or less without question) the meanings assigned to religious symbols as accurate and truthful.

"faith," on the other hand, is a quality of certainty that arises out of an experience of deep inner "knowing" (or gnosis).

Sabazius wrote:
See, I'd say I appreciate the distinction between faith and religion, which Caleb pointed out to Rory, but I disagree with the way he spoke from this position of amazing privilege, as someone who has no understanding of the kind of experiences that Rory has been subject to in his life. For me, dogma breeds arrogance, and while there is certainly arrogance among atheists, I think that's mostly a reaction to the arrogance of some religious people. However, as I said, I have no issue with people having faith in the concept of something or someone greater in the universe.
using what i said above, you're saying "faith" when you actually mean "belief" -- i have no issue with people believing in something or someone greater in the universe'.

it is very difficult for us to grasp that "faith" has nothing to do with "belief" -- or with "religion", strictly speaking. the real problem -- what you're calling "arrogance" is actually conceptual. it is what happens when one mistakes a metaphor for its connotation. if you think your metaphor is the connotation then you think the other guy's metaphor is a lie.
Back to top Go down
http://www.rawpaint.com
Kell
Admin
Kell

PostSubject: Re: Story Discussion   Story Discussion - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 13, 2011 5:09 am

well, its up :\
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Story Discussion   Story Discussion - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 13, 2011 8:29 am

that was incredibly hot. i loved it
Back to top Go down
ems

ems

PostSubject: Re: Story Discussion   Story Discussion - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 13, 2011 11:48 am

I was expecting a sex chapter but not something like this. This is something that Rory would definitely do. I think. On another note, I think the two of them missed a good movie Razz
Back to top Go down
Kell
Admin
Kell

PostSubject: Re: Story Discussion   Story Discussion - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 13, 2011 1:34 pm

this story might have a bit of action in it lol. theres 1 chapter in particular that i have planned far from now that will have some more fighting stuff lol until then, i dont know which chapters will have that stuff. if u guys dont want action though then tell me
Back to top Go down
ems

ems

PostSubject: Re: Story Discussion   Story Discussion - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 13, 2011 2:09 pm

Oh and, good job on the chapter Very Happy I liked it a LOT!
Back to top Go down
Kell
Admin
Kell

PostSubject: Re: Story Discussion   Story Discussion - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 13, 2011 2:24 pm

wow then it mustve been good if it pleased YOU lol
Back to top Go down
ems

ems

PostSubject: Re: Story Discussion   Story Discussion - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 13, 2011 2:30 pm

whatever scratch
Back to top Go down
Kell
Admin
Kell

PostSubject: Re: Story Discussion   Story Discussion - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 13, 2011 9:05 pm

turns out, this chapter was the 2nd longest chapter out of any of my stories. only tac's chapter 20 was longer
Back to top Go down
DreamCatcher

DreamCatcher

PostSubject: Re: Story Discussion   Story Discussion - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 13, 2011 10:50 pm

....i have the hardest boner now...great...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Story Discussion   Story Discussion - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 13, 2011 10:53 pm

DreamCatcher wrote:
....i have the hardest boner now...great...

i had the exact same reaction lol
Back to top Go down
DreamCatcher

DreamCatcher

PostSubject: Re: Story Discussion   Story Discussion - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 13, 2011 10:58 pm

did you have the same finishing reaction?
Back to top Go down
Kell
Admin
Kell

PostSubject: Re: Story Discussion   Story Discussion - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 13, 2011 11:26 pm

lol!

should i be flattered?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Story Discussion   Story Discussion - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Story Discussion
Page 4 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next